|Marin Conservation League | 175 N. Redwood Dr., Ste. 135 | San Rafael CA 94903 | Tel 415.485.6257 | Fax 415.485.6259
One of the more dramatic chapters in MCL history began in 1949 when Reedport Properties proposed bulldozing the Tiburon hills into the Bay to develop a housing project that would resemble Newport Beach. It was going to fill 879 acres of the bay from Strawberry Point to the edge of Belvedere Island.
MCL established the Richardson Bay Foundation, which raised funds from residents of the Tiburon Peninsula to acquire the threatened tidelands. Then, MCL persuaded the owner of the upland property next to the tideland site to donate her lands in return for a lifetime estate and care. The League also had the yellow Victorian known as the Lyford House moved from its original location on Strawberry Point to its present site overlooking the Bay. Ultimately the land and house were given to the National Audubon Society. Through the efforts of MCL, the City of Belvedere, National Audubon and many other entities and individuals the entire site – now about 800 acres in size, including marsh and tidelands - was purchased for about $250,000.
The Lyford House at Richardson Bay Audubon Center
MCL continues to work on preserving important natural features of Marin. Projects have included the San Rafael Shoreline, Corte Madera marshes, Bahia, Rush Creek in Novato, Bel Marin Keys and other creeks, wetlands and ridges.